What you are going to learn
Get ready to learn industry-leading recording software for free.
In this class we will focus on the new Pro Tools First software. This is a new version of Pro Tools that is absolutely free. It mimics traditional versions of Pro Tools, so if you learn Pro Tools First, you will be very comfortable working on Pro Tools or Pro Tools HD in a studio. Pro Tools First is a full-featured program, but it isn't without it's limitations. I'll walk you though what those are, some ways you can deal with them, and how to use the program to produce and/or record your music.
Here is a list of some of the topics we will cover:
- Differences between Pro Tools First, Pro Tools, and Pro Tools HD
- Advantages of Pro Tools First
- Limitations of Pro Tools First
- Downloading and Installing Pro Tools First for FREE
- Setting up a session from a template
- Creating a new session from scratch
- Organizing a session
- Importing audio tracks
- Adding MIDI tracks
- Using the XPand!2
- Creating a multi-timberal synth
- Saving and recalling your sound design patches
- Navigation in Pro Tools First
- Pro Tools Editing tools
- Time Stretching audio to fit your tempo
- Elastic audio
- Adding markers to your session
- Recording audio
- Recording setup
- Editing recordings
- Setting up MIDI
- Recording MIDI
- Panning, EQ, and other effects
- Mixing tips
- Exporting your track
- Bounce settings
- Mp3 Conversion
- SoundCloud and uploading elsewhere
- ...and much, much more!
Dr. J. Anthony Allen
Music PhD, Producer, Composer, Instructor, Professor, Author, & Ableton Certified Trainer.
Dr. Allen is a professional musician, top-rated online instructor, and university professor. In 2017 the Star Tribune featured him as a "Mover and a Shaker," and he is recognized by the Grammy Foundation for his music education classes. He currently teaches at Augsburg University in Minneapolis, MN, Slam Academy, and Punkademic Courses.
This course taught me everything I need to know about this software as I am a beginner to Pro Tools and music editing and mixing. I thought the course was great and Jay is an amazing teacher. I loved it!
- Thomas Koller
Very good job of setting the groundwork for the program. The examples and discussion tracks very well with each lesson. Speed of learning very good.
- Kathleen Janke